ATTENTION: The staff of New Light of Yurtyzstan sincerely apologises for the failure to publish articles for several months. We have a backlog of articles which we will publish as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cultural significance of yurt-building in Yurtyzstan

Yurtyzstan has suffered a fair amount of criticism in the past for our construction of yurts. It has been called “silly”, derided as an activity not reflective of seriousness or adequate cultural development. I certainly do not hold any grudges against our critics in this area; I merely hope to show that yurt-building is in fact a deeply cultural affair.

I need not remind former members of the Organisation of Active Micronations that Yurtyzstan has had a thoroughly immature past. (I believe it perhaps a bit pretentious, as well as premature, to say that Yurtyzstan has now reached a zenith of sophistication -- but certainly I hope it can be said that we have made much cultural progress over the past year.) Without any sort of true cultural cohesion other than clumsy North Korean simulationism, we had only physical activities to hold the nation together. Being situated in a forest, the next natural step was to utilise the materials available to create standing structures.

However, as our culture has gained a much higher level of thoughtfulness, the yurt remains ubiquitous and much-loved by the Yurtyzstani people. We have not, to any extent, retained the mask-wearing, war-mongering immaturity of the better part of 2011; therefore, I believe this demonstrates that the yurt has become an integral part of our national identity. In combination with some other elements, it provides us with originality. It serves as a central tenet of Yurtyzstani nationalism; among all model states, few (if any) demonstrate this level of physical development in conjunction with cultural maturity.

The construction of yurts is also highly useful in the recruitment of new citizens. Not all of our citizens have the ability, or the desire, to contribute to Yurtyzstan’s intellectual life; thus, the building of yurts allows us to reach out to potential citizens who are more inclined to be drawn by our extensive physical development. As a result of our Construction and Infrastructure Initiative this winter, Yurtyzstan has grown from six citizens to nearly thirty.

As I have already pointed out, yurt-building is key to Yurtyzstani nationalism. I believe that many nations lack a certain depth of unity by existing primarily or entirely online. Yurtyzstan has not just a defined physical territory but distinct settlements within that territory; Yurtyzstani citizens can walk into one at any time and recognise it as their nation, constructed by them personally. Online nations invite the participation of foreign powers with agendas and without truthful intent. With such an important part of our national identity based offline, we prevent this imperialist encroachment.

I admit that there have definitely been flaws in our national conduct in the past, and that the construction of yurts may have contributed to an image of immaturity. Certainly it is my hope to direct the primary attention of the Yurtyzstani people towards further cultivating our culture rather than towards construction; our international news outlets will reflect this. The yurts, however, are here to stay.

Yurt Kyong-yon